1 class period that runs 45 minutes.
Students will discover principles of positive communication through participation in activities.
Main Curriculum Tie:
Career and Technical Education Introduction
Standard 6 Objective 1
Examine attributes and issues related to family life and the skills needed to enhance independent living.
- Water Closet Story - attached below, copy
- Speaker Listener Game - attached below, copy, laminate and cut a part cards. Copy the speaker on one color and listener on another color.
- Communication Word Puzzle - attached below, copy, laminate and cut cards a part, copy each word on a differnet color paper
- Telephone Game - attached below, copy, laminate and cut cards apart
- Pictionary Words - attached below, copy, laminate and cut cards apart
- Restaurant Menu - attached below, copy and laminate
Background For Teachers:
In order for communication to occur you must have someone sending a message, someone to receive a message and the message. Even though all may be present miscommunication can still occur.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
Students will be able to identify key concept of communication and what they can do to being more effective in their communication.
Describe that in order for communication to take place three things need to happen. You need a message, someone to send the message and someone to receive the message. The activities the students participate in will reinforce parts of communication and how to better their communication skills. You will discuss with the students after what they learned about communication.
- Water closet story Students read the story.
- Speaker/Listener Students will break into pairs and one person will take a speaker card and one will take a listener card. They will do what the card says for two minutes and then they will trade rolls and take new cards.
- Words Students will use the letters to make 6 communication words.
- Telephone One person will draw a card and read it to themselves. They will whisper it to the next person in their group. They will whisper it to the next until the message has been around the group. The last person will say the message out loud.
- Pictionary One person will take a card and then draw to get the others in the group to guess what the word is they have.
- Restaurant One person will be the food server. They will take the rest of the groups orders. The people ordering can only state their order once. After all orders are taken the food server repeats back the orders for the group.
The students work on each activity for 5 minute and then the rotate to a new activity. At the end discuss each activity and what they learned. Some points you may want to bring out:
- Water closet story If you are texting e-mailing or writing to someone. Dont use abbreviations they might not understand. Make sure you are sending the message you intended.
- Speaker/Listener Both the speaker and the listener have responsibilities for communication to take place.
- Words Acting, Writing and speaking are all ways to send communication. Observing, reading and listening are ways to receive communication.
- Telephone The least effective way to communicate with a large group of people is to tell one person at a time. Discuss results of breakdown in communication.
- Pictionary Some times when communicating other just dont quite understand what you are trying to say. Discuss ESL students/families.
- Restaurant Both the food server and the customer have a responsibility to get the order correct. You must be able to clearly communicate to be inderpendent.
CTE Introduction lesson plans
Created Date :
May 03 2010 18:28 PM