1 class period that runs 45 minutes.
The purpose of this lesson is to teach students about ophthalmology, optometry, and optician careers, including job description, schooling, and salary. The activity will allow students to test their own eyes.
Snellen Charts (the one page Snellen charts can be printed on 8˝ x 11” paper and will be
Near Vision Test (it is page five of the attached PDF)
Background For Teachers:
Please view all attachments and familiarize yourself with the information.
Snellen charts attached that are 1 page will be accurate if printed on 8˝ x 11” paper. The Near
Vision test can be found on page 5 of the pdf attachment titled: block_letter_eye_chart. The first 4 pages of this attachment is a large size Snellen chart you can make on 11x17” paper if you wish.
Students should stand 20 feet away from Snellen charts. When they cover their eyes, have them do it very lightly and not push on their eyeball that they are covering (otherwise they see spots when they are trying to read with that eye!)
- Before the lesson you will want to measure out areas where students can be 20 feet apart for the Snellen chart activity. Or you can have measuring tapes out so the students can measure out their own 20 feet. Depending on room size, you may need to go outside or to the gym or hallway.
- Show the attached power point and lecture on the three different careers presented. The ‘color’ blind test that is throughout the power point is a fun ‘hook’.
- The end of the power point introduces the activity, using Snellen vision charts.
- Have students get into groups of 2 or 3.
- Give each group 1 Snellen chart and 1 Near Vision Test sheet.
- Give each student the Snellen Chart Documentation Worksheet.
- In their groups, one student will hold the chart, or be near the chart and the other student will be 20 feet away. Have the student 20 feet away read the lines of the chart with both eyes, left eye, and right eye. On the their documentation worksheet, the partner will mark which lines they got correct. Students with glasses may want to try it once with glasses on and once with glasses off.
- Have partners switch.
- Follow the same directions for the Near Vision Test, but they hold the paper 16 inches away.
- Hand out the review W.S. at the end to review the difference between the three careers discussed.
Created Date :
May 16 2011 11:06 AM