- Social & Civic Responsibility
Children will gain experience with a basketball and proper techniques.
Main Curriculum Tie:
2nd Grade - Content
Standard 1 Objective 2
Develop and apply skills in fine and gross motor movement.
One basketball for every two children.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
Students should be able to demonstrate basic knowledge about how to use a basketball properly.
Model the following techniques before asking the students to perform them:
- Self-toss a basketball and catch it before it bounces twice.
- While sitting on the floor, roll a ball back and forth between your partner.
- Count by numbers, months of the year or alphabet.
- Dribble a ball, using your fingerpads, (area underneath fingernails.
- Stand, feet together, and self-roll a ball around your feet.
- Underhand toss a ball to your partner.
- Perform a basic bounce pass to your partner.
- Dribble around your partner.
- Dribble a ball from a kneeling or seated position.
- Toss the ball underhand or overhand toward a target to improve your throwing skills.
- Catch a ball using properly positioned hands.
- Dribble the ball continuously and with control.
Strategies For Diverse Learners:
If a student is afraid of catching a ball, have their partner literally hand the ball to them while still showing proper form or use a softer ball.
Created Date :
Jun 11 2003 14:12 PM