Provide skill opportunities for the children to practice proper basketball techniques.
Main Curriculum Tie:
Physical Education - 3rd Grade
Standard 4 Objective 2
Demonstrate a variety of skills in sports and game activities.
One basketball per two students.
Background For Teachers:
Basic basketball knowledge.
Student Prior Knowledge:
Ball handling and following directions.
Be sure to model each skill for the students prior to beginning this activity.
- Change directions in a group setting while actively bouncing a basketball.
- Perform a self bounce pass to a target.
- Perform a bounce pass to a partner and back.
- Self toss a basketball and catch with no bounces.
- Self toss a basketball and turn one complete circle before catching it with one or no bounces.
- Properly catch a basketball using soft hands.
- Perform three different types of passes. (Bounce, chest and overhead)
- Continuously dribble a basketball without looking at the ball.
- Use both left and right hands to perform drills.
- Dribble a ball from a seated or kneeling position.
- Perform dexterity drills, such as, weaving the ball around the waist, knees, ankles or a figure eight.
- Drop and catch a basketball between your legs. (Advanced students can try to drop and catch the ball from the back side with either a bounce or no bounce at all.)
Strategies For Diverse Learners:
Advanced students can work with the other children. They can also do the drills exclusively with their non-dominant hand.
Created Date :
Jun 11 2003 14:30 PM