Simple activities for younger children to explore balance.
Main Curriculum Tie:
Kindergarten - Content
Standard 1 Objective 2
Develop skills in gross and fine motor movement.
Background For Teachers:
Ability to spot problems with simple locomotor patterns.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
Students will demonstrate spatial awareness and the ability to follow instructions. They will experience different movement forms.
Have students follow these directions:
- Walk toe to heel, toe to heel around the gym while keeping feet aligned on a line or tile pattern etc.
- Walk backwards, toe to heel.
- Walk on a line.
- Stand on a line and lift one leg off the ground and touch that heel. Repeat action with the other leg.
- Jump as high as you can and land with both feet touching the line.
- Skip around the gym while staying as close to the line as possible.
- Slide or shuffle around the room. Change directions and slide.
- Face the other way while sliding in the same direction.
Strategies For Diverse Learners:
The pace of these activities is to be determined by the students. Try to move onto the next activity when you see they have gained an understanding of what you want them to achieve.
Created Date :
Jun 17 2003 13:52 PM