Using the interactive writing procedure, students will write about vehicles that float.
Main Curriculum Tie:
1st Grade - Content
Standard 3 Objective 2
Investigate water and interactions with water.
- chart paper
- objects found in classroom to test floating and sinking capabilities
Amazing Water by Melvin Berger
An Apple Floats by Christin Wilsdon
Is It Floating by Fred and Jeanne Biddulph
Sink or Float by Leslie Fox
Water Changes by Brenda Parkes
Background For Teachers:
The teacher and students gather in a central location to write a
common text. The students and teacher brainstorm possible sentences.
After the sentence has been chosen they work together to construct the
text. The students write either a letter or the entire word. The class can
write on their own board/paper or observe each other. When the text is
finished the class reads it aloud.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
Intended Learning Outcomes
6. Communicate clearly in oral, artistic, written and nonverbal form.
Form classifications, descriptions, and conclusions
Invitation to Learn
Show pictures of objects that float.
- Use the interactive writing procedure to make a list of vehicles that float.
- Students find and draw pictures of vehicles that float.
- Students paste or draw pictures in their journal and write a sentence about
what is happening.
Write a story about where the vehicle could go and what will happen to it.
Try sinking or floating activities at home with family.
Evaluate journal entries.
Created Date :
Aug 11 2003 16:52 PM