1 class period that runs 30 minutes.
Students will practice agility, critical thinking skills and dribbling a basketball.
Main Curriculum Tie:
Physical Education - Fitness For Life
Standard 6 Objective 2
Recognize that physical activity provides opportunities for personal challenge.
One basketball per two students and a half cone or a deck ring to hold the balls while the students are running.
Background For Teachers:
Basic strategy for running the shuttle run as quickly as possible. (anticipating the change of direction, explosive starts)
Intended Learning Outcomes:
Students will determine whether or not they should assume a defensive position or an offensive position and react accordingly. Students should also be prepared to start and stop quickly.
- Students pair up and stand at opposite ends of the basketball court.
- The center line is where the half cones are evenly spaced and a basketball is placed atop them.
- Upon "go" the students run to the mid-line and touch it with their toe, they pivot and return to the end line and touch this line with their toe.
- Students pivot again and run towards the mid-line.
- The student arriving first picks up a basketball and pivots again towards their original end line.
- Their objective is to dribble the basketball and attempt an acceptable shot.
- An acceptable shot is generally ten to twelve feet or closer.
- The person who gets to the mid-line second becomes a defensive player and races to disrupt their partners shot.
- Normal basketball rules apply here, no traveling, no fouling, etc.
- The turn is over when the one shot is attempted (made or missed) or the defensive player is successful (blocking a shot, stealing the ball, etc.).
- Students return the ball to the mid-line and rotate one position to their right, thereby obtaining a new partner.
- Players on the far right simply go to the opposite end of their respective end line.
- When they are ready, start the activity again.
Strategies For Diverse Learners:
- Allow students to shoot closer/farther away from the basket.
- Allow multiple attempts at the basket.
- Keep the same partners and match them ability wise.
Created Date :
May 24 2007 13:27 PM