This lesson covers the family unit section in TLC using PowerPoint presentations, worksheets, group activities, and by creating a limerick.
Main Curriculum Tie:
Career and Technical Education Introduction
Standard 6 Objective 1
Examine attributes and issues related to family life and the skills needed to enhance independent living.
1. Pictures of families (Or the PowerPoint presentation)
2. Family unit packet
3. Red and green light transparencies
4. Plastic cups (6 in each set)
5. Rubber bands with 5 or 6 pieces of yarn tied to each rubber band. (one for each set)
1. 5 min.--Show pictures of families to the students. Show them one at a time. In the packet have the students write whatever comes to their minds about the pictures.
2. 5 min.--Divide the class into families. They will stay in these families for the rest of this unit. Have each family create a family name.
3. 5 min.--Discuss different types of families. Have the students think of as many different kinds of families as they can and then write down the definitions in their packets.
4. 5 min.--Emphasize the importance of using good communication. Show the red light and green light overheads. Have the students write down the definitions in their packets.
5. 10 min.--Each family is given 6 plastic cups that are stacked. Each cup is labeled:
The students will also receive a rubber band with 6 strings attached. The strings are labeled
Each member of the family takes the end of one string. Working together by pulling on the strings to open and close the rubber band they must get the cups unstacked and form them into a pyramid. They cannot touch the cups with their hands. After they have all accomplished this task, have them try to make the pyramid with only three people; then with only two people.
Questions to ask:
- 1. Which attempt to complete the pyramid was the easiest?
- 2. Why was it easier with everyone helping?
- 3. How does this apply to our families?
After the game help the students understand how interconnected families are.
6. 5 min.--Traditions. Have the students create a limerick about one of their family traditions. Instructions are in the packet.
Created Date :
May 05 2003 22:13 PM