Opportunity to play flag football with structured rules.
Main Curriculum Tie:
Physical Education - 6th Grade
Standard 2 Objective 2
Follow rules and procedures while participating in activities.
Cones to mark boundaries, flags for participants, soft footballs
Background For Teachers:
Student Prior Knowledge:
How to throw properly, catch properly and communicate with others.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
The students should be able to gain a knowledge of basic football rules and how to be courteous of others. They will be able to participate in a group activity and realize others abilities may be different than theirs.
- Establish the boundaries of your playing field. For this activity you will probably want to make it fairly small.
- Divide the class into groups of no more than 6.
(The opportunities are greater and the crowd is smaller if you keep the teams small.)
- Each team is given four downs, no more. If they score before those four downs, the other team receives the ball.
- When a flag is pulled, the person who has the flag yells GOTCHA, so everyone knows that the play has ended.
- Rotate your teams every five minutes or so.
- Normal football rules apply.
Strategies For Diverse Learners:
Give people who need more space, time to actually catch the ball, before going to pull their flag. Do not defend at all until they catch it.
Created Date :
Jun 11 2003 14:51 PM