UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
Adult English Language Learners 5
|Printable Version (pdf)|
Core Standards of the Course
ELP Standard 2
An ELL canů
participate in level-appropriate oral and written exchanges of information, ideas, and analyses, in various social and academic contexts, responding to peer, audience, or reader comments and questions.
- participate in conversations, extended discussions, and written exchanges about a range of substantive topics, texts, and issues
- build on the ideas of others
- express his or her own ideas clearly and persuasively
- refer to specific and relevant evidence from texts or research to support his or her ideas
- ask and answer questions that probe reasoning and claims
- summarize the key points and evidence discussed.
- carry out both short and more sustained research projects to answer a question or solve a problem
- gather information from multiple print and digital sources
- evaluate the reliability of each source
- use advanced search terms effectively
- synthesize information from multiple print and digital sources
- analyze and integrate information into clearly organized spoken and written texts
- include illustrations, diagrams, or other graphics as appropriate
- cite sources appropriately.
- adapt language choices and style according to purpose, task, and audience with ease in various social and academic contexts
- use a wide variety of complex general academic and content-specific words and phrases
- employ both formal and more informal styles and tones effectively in spoken and written texts, as appropriate.
- recount a complex and detailed sequence of events or steps in a process, with an effective sequential or chronological order
- introduce and effectively develop an informational topic with facts, details, and evidence
- use complex and varied transitions to link the major sections of speech and text and to clarify relationships among events and ideas
- provide a concluding section or statement.