UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
Adult English Language Learners 5
|Printable Version (pdf)|
Core Standards of the Course
ELP Standard 2
An ELL canů
participate in level-appropriate oral and written exchanges of information, ideas, and analyses, in various social and academic contexts, responding to peer, audience, or reader comments and questions.
- participate in conversations, extended discussions, and written exchanges about a range of substantive topics, texts, and issues
- build on the ideas of others
- express his or her own ideas clearly and persuasively
- refer to specific and relevant evidence from texts or research to support his or her ideas
- ask and answer questions that probe reasoning and claims
- summarize the key points and evidence discussed.
- carry out both short and more sustained research projects to answer a question or solve a problem
- gather information from multiple print and digital sources
- evaluate the reliability of each source
- use advanced search terms effectively
- synthesize information from multiple print and digital sources
- analyze and integrate information into clearly organized spoken and written texts
- include illustrations, diagrams, or other graphics as appropriate
- cite sources appropriately.
- adapt language choices and style according to purpose, task, and audience with ease in various social and academic contexts
- use a wide variety of complex general academic and content-specific words and phrases
- employ both formal and more informal styles and tones effectively in spoken and written texts, as appropriate.
- recount a complex and detailed sequence of events or steps in a process, with an effective sequential or chronological order
- introduce and effectively develop an informational topic with facts, details, and evidence
- use complex and varied transitions to link the major sections of speech and text and to clarify relationships among events and ideas
- provide a concluding section or statement.
http://www.uen.org - in partnership with Utah State Board of Education
(USBE) and Utah System of Higher Education
(USHE). Send questions or comments to USBE Specialist -
and see the Adult Ed/ English Language Proficiency website. For
general questions about Utah's Core Standards contact the Director
- BRIAN OLMSTEAD .
|These materials have been produced by and for the teachers of the State of Utah. Copies of these materials may be freely reproduced for teacher and classroom use. When distributing these materials, credit should be given to Utah State Board of Education. These materials may not be published, in whole or part, or in any other format, without the written permission of the Utah State Board of Education, 250 East 500 South, PO Box 144200, Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4200.|