EPISCOPALIANS IN UTAH
The Cathedral Church of St. Mark
The evangelical Protestant churches were among the first Gentiles to start
organizing in Utah, and the Protestant Episcopal Church was the first with
a definite organized effort.
On 5 October 1866, at a House of Bishops meeting in New York City, Daniel
Sylvester Tuttle was elected missionary bishop of the Territories of Montana,
Idaho and Utah. At the time he was a twenty-nine-year-old pastor of Zion
Church in Morris, New York. On 1 May 1867 he was consecrated the first Episcopal
Missionary Bishop of Montana, with jurisdiction over Utah and Idaho.
While waiting for consecration, Tuttle enlisted four of his clergyman friends
to help begin the project. During this time, Tuttle received a letter from
Warren Hussey, a Salt Lake City banker. Hussey was requesting that Tuttle's
mission begin in Utah rather than Montana. There were no other non-Mormon
churches in Utah and the first to arrive would get much support. Also, Hussey
knew Brigham Young quite well and assured Tuttle that there would be no
resistance from Young and the Mormons.
George W. Foote and T. W. Haskins arrived in Utah in May 1867 ahead of Bishop
Tuttle and the other two missionaries. A Congregational minister, the Reverend
Norman McLeod, had obtained use of the Young Men's Literary Institute's
hall for use as a general hall for Gentiles. It was known as Independence
Hall, and this is where Foote and Haskins held the first services. They
also organized a church association to raise funds for a school.
On 4 July 1867 Bishop Tuttle arrived in Salt Lake City with the other two
missionaries. One of the first things he did was to pay a courtesy call
on Brigham Young. The Episcopalians had a policy regarding their relationship
with the Mormons: efforts were made to have a good relationship by not directly
assaulting Mormon theology or practice, and not speaking against the Mormons.
They wanted to win respect by showing the faith and practice of the Episcopal
When Bishop Tuttle arrived in Utah, he found the organizing efforts of the
previous missionaries included a congregation with only three confirmed
Episcopalians -- all women. A mission committee had been established and
included a Roman Catholic, a Methodist, and an apostate Mormon. The Congregationalist
chaplain at Camp Douglas had previously started a Sunday School and it was
growing. A class of eleven was ready to be confirmed. Haskins and Foote
opened St. Mark's School on 1 July 1867. They rented an adobe building on
the east side of Main Street between Second and Third South streets. The
clergy and several women volunteers taught the students.
After becoming familiar with the situation in Salt Lake City and the work
Foote and Haskins had started, Bishop Tuttle decided to leave them in charge
and go on to Montana. He was gone until November 1869, when he returned
with his family and stayed in Utah until August of 1886.
While Bishop Tuttle was away in Montana, Foote and Haskins continued with
the work of building a school. A grammar school was very important to both
non-Mormons and Mormons. The school in the adobe building grew and soon
took over the two adjoining storerooms and then moved to Independence Hall.
Donations from church members in the East helped to establish a school building.
In 1873 they were in their own building at 141 East 100 South. A boarding
and day school for girls was started in Salt Lake City in 1880. It was known
as Rowland Hall in honor of Benjamin Rowland and his family of Philadelphia
whose generous donations made the school possible. These schools became
an asset to education in Utah. In 1964 the two schools combined to form
Rowland Hall-St. Mark's. This was more economically suitable and followed
the national trend among private schools.
The cornerstone of the Cathedral Church of St. Mark was laid 30 July 1870.
The Rev. Mr. Foote had traveled east to collect donations. The non-Mormons
in Salt Lake City were also very generous in their giving toward the building
of the cathedral. The parish was formally organized 15 November 1870. Bishop
Tuttle was the rector and the Reverend. Mr. Kirby eventually became his
The cathedral was not the first non-Mormon church building in Utah. The
Church of the Good Samaritan in Corinne was the first. The adobe building
was completed in 1869 under the direction of the Reverend George Foote.
In the early years, Corinne was the Gentile center of Utah. When the railroad
junction was changed from Corinne to Ogden, the town declined in the 1870s
and the Episcopal mission eventually closed.
During the year of 1870, church services were started in Ogden by the Reverend
Haskins. Services were held in the passenger room of the train depot. The
Reverend James Lee Gillogly came to Ogden 18 July 1970 as a resident missionary.
He was the first Protestant minister in Ogden and his first congregation
included all railroad people. Services in the passenger room were many times
disrupted with noise from passengers coming and going. As was the case in
Salt Lake City, it was important to start a school in Ogden. The railroad
people objected to their children attending the Mormon schools because of
the poor quality and overcrowding. Again with financial help from Easterners
along with local support, a building was rented and the School of the Good
Shepherd was started on 1 October 1870 with thirteen students.
In the Spring of 1874, Bishop Tuttle decided to build a church in Ogden.
It was built in memory of the daughter of New Yorker John W. Hammersley.
The Hammersley family donated most of the money for the building. The cornerstone
of the Church of the Good Shepherd was laid 29 April 1874 and the church
was consecrated on 6 February 1875. A new schoolhouse was eventually built
across the street.
In the neighboring town of Plain City there was a group of people who were
former members of the Church of England. They had joined the Mormon Church,
came to Utah, and after a time wished to return to their mother church.
They approached Mr. Gillogly for help in establishing a church. He gladly
helped them, going back and forth between Ogden and Plain City for Sunday
services. A building, Called St. Paul's School, was erected for school,
In Salt Lake City in 1879, St. Paul's began in a home as a Sunday School.
In 1880 a church was built at Main and Fourth Streets. The Episcopalians
are responsible for the founding of St. Mark's Hospital in Salt Lake City.
After mining began in nearby canyons, there were no hospitals available
for injured miners and railroad workers. The Reverend Kirby and representatives
from the mines and Camp Douglas got together with Bishop Tuttle and organized
a hospital in 1872. The first building was at Fifth East and Fourth South.
The demand for health services increased and the hospital moved to Fifth
East and Third South in 1879 and again in 1893. The present location of
the hospital is 1200 East 3900 South.
The Right Reverend Abiel Leonard was Missionary Bishop of Utah from 1888
to 1903. He carried on the work of Bishop Tuttle and became especially concerned
with establishing churches in the mining communities as well as other communities.
St. Luke's in Park City was started in September 1888. In Salt Lake City,
St. Peter's was established in 1900 as a chapel for St. Mark's Hospital
and to serve the northwest section of the city. Also, in 1900, St. John's
was started in a frame building at Ninth East and Sixteenth South. New churches
were also organized in Provo, Springville, Layton, Eureka, Park City and
Vernal. Bishop Leonard also started the church's mission to the Ute Indians
in the Uintah Basin at Randlett and later at Whiterocks.
The Bishops Tuttle and Leonard established a solid foundation for the Episcopal
Church in Utah. As following bishops came and served, some churches were
closed, others added. Remaining throughout the changes has been the commitment
to continue seeking the greatest need for ministry and becoming involved
in service for the betterment of the community.
During the Depression years as mines and smelters closed and railroads reduced
services, people moved away and the Uintah Basin missions closed. There
was a decrease in the number of clergy in Utah and those who were here had
to serve twice as many missions.
In 1942 the Reverend H. Baxter Liebler from Greenwich, Connecticut was traveling
through the Navajo Reservation in southeastern Utah. He stopped in Bluff,
learned the language and customs of the Navajo and then built St. Christopher's
Mission. This was the first Episcopal school for the Navajo. It later included
medical and dental facilities.
After World War II, new congregations were started as new families moved
into the state. In Salt Lake City, All Saints began in 1947 as a Sunday
School. A new coal mining town, Dragerton, saw another mission established
as a Sunday School in 1949. Other postwar missions were started in Price,
Moab, Brigham City, Clearfield, Holladay, Bountiful, Granger, Tooele and
Following the sale of St. Mark's Hospital in December of 1987, the need
for a new paradigm and fiduciary responsibility emerged, and the outreach
of the diocese and congregations increased. New ministries include the Episcopal
Social and Pastoral Ministries, the Indian Urban Support Center, the Indigent
Health Care Fund, the Charitable Fund, a broad youth program, a special
fund set aside for charitable care at St. Mark's Hospital, continuing financial
support for the nursing program at Westminster College of Salt Lake City,
the placement of an additional chaplain at Rowland Hall-St. Mark's School,
and expanding college and university campus ministries, including the formation
of the Episcopal Ministry in Higher Education Task Force. In addition, Jubilee
Ministry grants were awarded to congregations and chaplaincy programs with
social ministry projects. At its 1991 Diocesan Convention, delegates adopted
formally a new mission statement which declares that Episcopalians in Utah
will continue their exercise of an outreach ministry, and it identifies
goals for a five-year period.
With new financial resources generated from the sale of the hospital, St.
Elizabeth's Church in Whiterocks was remodeled and rededicated; two new
parish halls were built for the people of Whiterocks and Randlett; property
adjacent to the Cathedral Church of St. Mark was purchased for future development;
church buildings were remodeled to conform to the Americans with Disabilities
Act; a larger facility was leased for the ecumenical Lutheran and Episcopal
congregation in Price; St. James' congregation in south Salt Lake will have
a new facility in 1993; and two new churches are to be completed at St.
George and Park City (Silver Springs) in 1993 and 1994 respectively. The
historic church in Park City, St. Luke's, will remain an active chapel.
The present diocesan boundaries are the state of Utah excluding the Navajoland
Area Mission located in the southeast corner of the state. A total of nine
bishops have provided ecclesiastical leadership in Utah since 1867, and
as of 1 January 1993 there were sixty-one ordained priests and deacons functioning
within the diocese. The Right Reverend George E. Bates is the ninth bishop
of Utah. The 1991 membership records indicate 5,427 baptized members in
the twenty-one active congregations in the diocese.
See: James W. Beless Jr., "The Episcopal Church in Utah: Seven Bishops
and One Hundred Years," Utah Historical Quarterly 36 (Winter
1968); Mary R. Clark, "Rowland Hall-St. Mark's School: Alternate Education
For More Than a Century" Utah Historical Quarterly 43 (Summer
1980); Robert Joseph Dwyer, The Gentile Comes To Utah (1971).
Mary Peach and Kathryn L. Miller