North Logan is located in Cache County and adjoins Logan to the south. It is located at the mouth of Green Canyon and is built eastward to the foothills. It commands a far-reaching panorama of Cache Valley.
In 1878 Ralph Smith, a resident of Logan, along with his son Thomas, as well as Hyrum Maughan and Julius Johnson, filed for homestead land on what was a dry sagebrush field. They tilled the land, farmed it, and hauled their produce back to Logan. Smith finished construction of a home in 1884 and by 1890 eight additional families resided in the village, which was named Greenville because of the trees planted along the roadsides. However, it was found that another town in Utah was named Greenville, so to avoid confusion the name of the town was changed to North Logan. In 1898 twenty families lived in North Logan. Most early North Logan residents were from Scandinavian countries, the British Isles, and Switzerland.
One of the major problems encountered in the settlement of the area was acquiring culinary water. In 1935 a pipeline was completed which brought water from Green Canyon to the residents of North Logan. Prior to that time many residents used canal water, hauled in drinking water, or dug wells for their culinary water needs. Electric power became available in 1912.
In 1898 a one-room brick schoolhouse was built in order to separate the school from the LDS church building. As the community grew, a new schoolhouse was built, and additional rooms were added to it as needed. Today North Logan has one elementary school, North Park.
The North Logan Ward was organized in 1891. By 1900 a new LDS ward house had been completed and in 1953 a modern chapel was built and dedicated. North Logan now has ten wards. The town of North Logan was incorporated in 1934 and has continued to grow--from 250 in 1905 to 535 in 1950 to 3,768 in 1990.
North Logan and the Utah State University campus first became associated in 1901. Six acres of the town's land were originally purchased for use in conducting irrigation research. Additional land was added to the Agronomy farm. The Greenville Experimental Farm eventually became the principal center for activities aimed at breeding better cereal crops, testing new varieties of many different crops, and researching irrigation and soil management. Other research projects over the years included poultry research, wildlife research, and veterinary research. The Green Canyon Forest Tree Nursery was also established. Utah State University still continues to expand into North Logan. Current structures include the Distribution Center, the Green Canyon Ecology Research Center, the horse arena, the Mountain West Physical Therapy building, the Navajo Sheep Project, and the poultry farm.
Dairying has also played an important economic role in North Logan. Many local milk producers sold milk to the Cache Valley Dairy Association. Cheese plants were also developed. Other industries developed (although all have not continued); they include the livestock industry, mink ranching, chicken hatcheries, turkey farms, apple orchards, vegetable canning, and beekeeping. Currently a WalMart store helps add revenue to the city's tax base.