Web Sites for Court Cases:
You can use Find Law to search topics or actual cases. This site is also helpful if you are wondering what cases might have been discussed concerning a certain clause, section, or amendment of the Constitution.
Cornell Law School - Legal Information Institute
Use this site to search for current and past court cases. It includes federal and state case law.
OYEZ - U.S. Supreme Court Multimedia
This site is great if you want a synopsis or summary of a case without reading all of the related case documents. Their summaries include the facts of the case, question presented, and conclusion.
Relevant Court Cases:
- Tuan Anh Nguyen v. INS (2001) rights of citizenship and due process to children born abroad to a citizen parent.
- Dred Scott v. Sanford (1857) citizenship of slaves and blacks.
- Kennedy v. Mendoza-Martinez (1963) residency, the draft, and loss of
- Plyler v. Doe (1982) education for children of illegal aliens.
- Hoffman Plastic Compounds, Inc. v. NLRB (2002) civil rights and
Helpful Web Sites:
Republicanism and Democracy
This is a great article relating to
classical republicanism and American democracy.
In Search of Tocqueville's Democracy in America
Take the Alexis de Tocqueville Tour
Exploring Democracy in America.
This non-partisan web site provides detailed, accurate election information. You will find the
latest news and debates, candidate questionnaires, plus classroom activities and Utah
election history moments.