November 5, 2010Host:
Provo School District
Date and Time:
November 5, 2010
Provo District Office Professional Development Center
280 West 940 North
Provo, UT 84604
Click here for a map
8:30 AM - Continental Breakfast
9:00 AM - Welcome and Introductions - Kim Broadbent
9:10 AM - A Few Words From Provo City School District's Technology Director - Ted Kelly
9:15 AM - Reading Plus - Pat Rosenburg
- Reading Plus is a highly engaging silent reading improvement solution with multiple approaches to improve fluency, comprehension and vocabulary.
- Try out the program at Reading Plus Login through November 29th.
- Sitecode: utahgurus
- Username: Techie1 through Techie75
- Password: Same as username
10:00 - Elementary Educational iPad Apps - Kim Broadbent
- Apps Lists By Subject
- Apps Lists By Grade Level Standards
10:20 - Break
10:40 - Educational Ordering and Apps Distribution - Debbie Hepworth
- iPad - if you purchases packs of 10 you save $200.
- Bulk purchases of Apps - if you purchase a minimum of 20 licenses you will get it for 1/2 price
- Handy Dandy visual: App Volume Purchasing Diagram
- Carts are available to be used as power stations and used to sync Apps.
11:00 AM - Compass Learning - Sara McDaniel
- Compass Learning has multiple components that provide personalized learning experiences in all areas.
12:00 - Lunch
1:00 - Updates
UTIPS Update - Julie Quinn
- New UTIPS
- written html 5
- will be more independent and flexible
- Currently completing usability studies and working with USOE data mentors group
- In the Spring they transfer some self selected users' accounts to the new system
- In the Fall they will allow a larger group to work with the new system
- Utah Museum of Natural History science open house for teachers
Today from 3:30-6:30 pm
Free stuff from many organizations like Clark Planetarium, Aquarium, and UEN.
- New American Indian web page
- NetSafe Utah
We are in the process of rewriting the NetSafe Utah grant for the coming year. One change is that we'll be adding Spanish versions of the NetSafe Utah videos. Can the C Forum group recommend other things that would help them do NetSafe training in their schools? Would a collection of premade PowerPoints and handouts be useful? Anything else?
- Pioneer Online Library - new Federated Search (Primo)
Katie will likely have something to demonstrate at the December C Forum, and we'll work on creating handouts. You may want to be thinking of adding that to your training circuit esp. with Pioneer workshops scheduled after the new year.
- Call for FIRST Lego League volunteers
- New STEM-related resources on Preschool Pioneer
- Espresso Learning for PreK - 4th grade
UEN be doing an online trial of a new product from Espresso/Defined Learning from mid November through mid January. This is a preschool/early grade learning site with video, interactives, etc. The Defined Learning people will be hosting a webinar in November, look for email about that. There will be an online survey for educators/reviewers to tell us what they think. Watch for that and tell elementary teachers, librarians, curriculum and reading specialists so we have a broad evaluation.
Common Core - English Language Arts and Mathematics
UCET Update - Pam Turley