Alpine District Administration Bldg.
Professional Development Center (PDC)
RM# 316 - bldg, south side of parking lot
575 North 100 East
American Fork, Utah 84003
Link to Google Doc Agenda
Interactive Graphic Novel - Anomaly -
8:30 - Continental Breakfast
8:55 - 9:00 Welcome: Above & Beyond
Cody Spendlove, Rachel Thompson, Georgia Omer
9:25 - 9:45 - PI Grant:(Sec), Davie Faries - Willow Creek Middle School music - iPads & Smart Music app - He has 40 iPads. The also use Tenuto app and Tonal Energy. "Band is the original 'Bring your own device.'"
9:00 - 9:20 - PI Grant: (Elem) Brandon Engles - Shelly Elementary 6th Grade - Mars Curiosity/SS documentaries & Theater rental - Digital Storytelling - He attended the Shift Training.
1. Project 1 - Digital Storytelling about WWII. Weeks of research, writing, rewriting, Brandon had two guest speakers -producer Rob Smith, and a WWII Vet. The research took much more time than the actual filming.
His students' film was shown at the Tower Theatre is SLC and the Towne Theater in American Fork.
2. Project 2 - Create a question about the geology of Mars. He went to the Mars Symposium at ASU in Arizona. He connected his students with ASU. His students generated and wrote a research question, "What creates hills on Mars?" The students did the research and came up with a determination. They sent that information to ASU, scientists looked at it and then the classroom and the scientists had a Skype session about the research.
- Brandon uses #utedchat -
- Mystery Skype - (High tech 20 questions game. They get on Skype with another classroom from an unknown location. They have to figure out where each class is from.)
- Genius Time - He just started doing Genius time. He learned about it at EDCamp Utah.
AR Apps - Two Guys and Some iPads -
Daqri - Ideas for -
Pythagorean Theorem on the wall to remind students who don't know - book trailers inside library books or on library walls.
Crayola coloring app -
9:50 - 10:15 - Adobe Voice - Ely Greenfield, Sr. Principle Scientist for Adobe Voice - Entrepreneur Article - CNet Article -
The goal with Adobe Voice = Be The StoryTeller - Communication is the Goal - Students and teachers have Limited Time but lots of Pride in their Product.
He told us a little about the new Project X. It is for teaching effective communication. Demonstration for using Adobe Voice.
All the content is creative content license. You have to be connected to the internet to access the pictures, except those stored on the device.
Code Name - Project Luca coming out in a few months. Focus on telling the story, the app will turn it into something beautiful. It will look beautiful on a phone, laptop, iPad - it adapts itself automatically. Katie asked how do you attribute the images. Ely says they automatically get added AND when you get to publishing, you can add more or edit the ones there.
Twitter - https://twitter.com/egreenfield Ely Greenfield - firstname.lastname@example.org
Essential Questions: What are the most important ways we need to change K-12 education to prepare students for the global, digital, information age in which they will live?
When K-12 fully embraces digital learning:
What will be different for students?
What will be different for teachers?
10:20 - 11:20 Tom Murray report -- Project 24 (De-peep groups - how? ) Thomas Murray came to Alpine School District and worked with them.
- “Brain Share” -- Collaboration Small Groups (Kagan) 6-7 tables (Use Report graphic)
- Need 5 - 7 topics (me, Cody, Georgia at a group -- 21st century deeper learning, use of time, professional learning,... + two more - let them choose - EdCamp style) Speed discussions: a series of short conversations, each focusing on a specific topic, usually lasting about ten minutes per topic. Teachers self-select which discussions to attend. Then, one person assigned to keep notes in GOOGLE DOC (Tom’s TABLE) while “half” the table rotates clockwise (outer group) and half rotates counter clockwise (inner group)
11:15 - 12:00 UEN: Pat Lambrose will present EdReady Utah
- Link to Presentation
- We are asked to get the word out about EdReady - If we know teachers who may benefit let Pat know. They are especially looking for 7th - 12th grades. ED READY GET STARTED.
- Utah is one of the two states doing a state wide roll out. Their purpose is to help prevent kids from having to go through the remediation route. Includes adult ed for GED classes.
- There is an initial diagnostic tool. There are assessments.
- Now it is Math with English coming out soon.
- Students are in charge of their learning - it is self-paced and FREE. NO PACKETS!
- NROC Project - Includes Hippocampus resources
- EdReady Launch Pad -
- Acuplacer - Utah uses this to help identify strengths and needs of students for college preparation.
- Bridge Camps for Summer School - Students that did poorly can use this to get ready for the fall. Talk to your teachers about this!
- Credit Recovery - NO PACKETS!
12:00 - 12:40 Lunch prepared by the culinary arts class at Mountainland Applied Technical College
- USOE – Rick - He was at the capital last night till 8:00 PM with Senator Stephenson
- Tech Bill SB222 - Senate denied the bill and provided ZERO funding for it! - Now they are asking the State Board to do some research into the funding to prepare for next time. We need them to understand the compelling message we are trying to send them.
- $ 1 Mill will be provided to UEN to do a study on Infrastructure
- 5 Mill for 7 - 8th grade technology curriculum
- There was a 4% increase in the WPU - probably won't go towards technology but may be used some for teachers' salaries
- Supposedly some $ went to higher education
- They might find a couple of million for infrastructure for
- Iste will be doing a redo of the Student Technology Standards starting this June at the conference. That may mean Rick may not have to do that. We can get the newest ones a year from now from ISTE.
- UCET - Leslie -
- Please let us know how many UCET15 posters you have taken to distribute by clicking here to complete the survey. Please enter your district/association and the number of each poster design you have taken. Estimate if you're not sure. Please enter all you have taken at this C-Forum or last time. Thank you!
- Keep taking #techelevated photos of
- iconic Utah places
- students and teachers using technology
- famous Utah people and you
- Put the photos on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook - you may win free registration to UCET and you will encourage others to sign up.
- Register for UCET!
- UELMA - Conference March 20 -
- UEN - JUSTIN ANDERSON
- #utedchat - Wednesday nights 9 - 10 PM - Leave your comfort zone and work on your own Personal Learning Network. Make contacts and get resources. #utedchat.
- This is the last CForum meeting of the year. Justin will be sending out an email requesting different districts to sign up.
- There are NEW updates for Gale Reference Library
- Driving Directions: Take I-15 to exit #284 (Timpanogos Hwy or SR92) in Lehi and proceed west on Clubhouse Drive. Cross the bridge and at the four-way stop take a right onto Garden Drive.
- With more than 400 interactive experiences, you can visit the Rainforest, Water Works, an Aeolian landscape (create clouds, and spin colors and patterns on the giant turntable) or Archimedes Playground.
What IS 21st Century Education
“Brain Share” -- Collaboration Small Groups (Kagan) 6-7 tables
__Future Ready Initiative__
__Tom Murray’s Statements on Student Data Privacy__
__Leading the Digital Transition MOOC__
__Corwin’s Connected Educator Series__ (15 books)
__Pure Genius: Building a Culture of Innovation & Taking 20% Time to the Next Level__
__Inquiry & Innovation in the Classroom: Using 20% Time, Genius Hour, and PBL to Drive Student Success__ -- __A.J. Juliani__
__Your Field Guide to Real-World Projects in the Digital Age__ - __Suzie Boss__ and Jane Krauss, 2nd ed
__Co-Creating Digital Learning Experiences__ w/Thomas C. Murray, Steven W. Anderson, Angela Watson, Joe Sanfelippo, Erin Klein, and Joe Mazza.
__Project 24’s Archived Webinars 2015__