Seasons - Round and Round We Go!
Before you begin, write a paragraph about what you already know about why earth has seasons. If you have questions, include them in your paragraph.
The following demonstration uses a model to demonstrate Earth revolving around the sun. The tilt of Earth on its axis (see model) shows how seasons happen.Remember that the sun is the center of our solar system. Like the other planets, Earth revolves around the sun.
Earth takes one trip around the sun once each year. Ever wonder why we have a leap year?
- Electric light with a single bulb
- Dark room
- Place a straight line of tape on the globe between the north and south poles.
- Turn on the light bulb.
- Move the globe around the light bulb - make sure you keep the same side of the globe always facing the sun.
- Demonstrate one year by moving the globe once around the light bulb.
- Have the students demonstrate the earth’s revolution by standing in a circle and moving once around the sun (teacher standing in center).
Now, write a follow-up paragraph about what you observed and how your ideas have changed.