Solar System - Instruments for Exploration
Journal Entry - Take out your science journal and answer the following question(s) (use drawings as appropriate):
What instruments do scientists use to learn about space?
- Go to Web site: http://amazing-space.stsci.edu/resources/explorations/galileo
View the slide show and then do the quizzes. This explains optical telescopes.
- Divide your friends into five groups. Assign each
group one of the following categories:
- Space probes
- Space shuttle
- Space station
- Research your topics using books, encyclopedias, and the Internet.
- Share your information through an oral presentation with visual aids with your friends.
Visit the following website:
The purpose of visiting this site is to help you understand the instruments used to observe the universe, the role of computers in understanding the solar system, and the technology used to study the universe.
- List three technologies that scientists are using to study the universe.
- Describe the advantages of using un-manned spacecraft over manned spacecraft.
- How has NASA benefited from the development of computers?
- How have you benefited from advancements in the space program?