Heat, Light and Sound - Hide and Seek
Introduction: Have you ever noticed how a straw looks bent when it is placed in a glass of water or clear soda? The bending of light as it travels through different substances is known as refraction.
- Tape a penny to the inside bottom of the bowl.
- Place the bowl on a desk or table where you and your friends can stand around the table and observe.
- Slowly back away from the bowl until the penny is just out of view. Predict what will happen when water is placed in the bowl.
- Have a friend pour water into the bowl.
- What did you observe? Explain your answer.
- What do you think would happen if vegetable oil were used instead of water? Try it!