1 class periods of 45 minutes each
Students will explore the Support Services Career Pathway using articles in the Health Careers Planner (HCP).
- Classroom set of American Careers--Health Careers Planner (HCP)
- The American Careers - Health Careers Planner can be purchased at Career Communications, Inc. 6701 West 64th Street Overland Park, KS 66202 (913) 362-7788 http://www.carcom.com
Background for Teachers
There is an American Careers-HCP Teaching Guide, but it is better suited for the high school level, not 7-8th grade level. There are two good surveys included that could be revised and used if wanted: "General Attitude Survey" and "Performance Assessments". Also the glossary could be of use for you and/or your students.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Students will review and describe various support services careers.
- Read pages 33-38 from the HCP, including the articles on: "Central Sterile Processing Department Manager", "Biomedical Engineering", Administrative Director of Materials Management" and "Environmental Services Director"
- Read two of the support services careers and briefly describe them. Description should include basic job description, educational requirements, personal/professional qualifications needed, etc.
- Optional: Using the Internet, search answers to "Name the Job" on page 39 of the HCP. Answers to the "Name the Job" activity are located on page 39 of the HCP.