1 class periods of 45 minutes each
Students will make a thermometer showing that liquids when heated expand.
- strong plastic bottle with a scew cap
- a thin plastic straw
- modeling clay
- water colored with poster paint.
Student Prior Knowledge
Particles move. When heated particles move even more.
- Drill a hole in plastic bottle caps. You can have the kids collect and bring the bottles.
- Put the straw into the hole and seal with the clay.
- Fill the Bottle 1/2 full of colored water. Make the water come about 3/4 the way up the straw then close the lid tightly.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Put the Thermometer into a bowl of ice water and see what happens to the water level.
- Put it into warm water.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.