2 class periods of 45 minutes each
Students use paper frog organs to reassemble frog organ systems.
Background for Teachers
Students are working on being able to identify and describe the
function and interdependence of various organs and tissues. They may be able to do the indicators below at the beginning of the activity or the end, this can be used as a summative or formative activity.
- Order the levels of organization from simple to complex (e.g., cell, tissue, organ, system, organism).
- Match a particular structure to the appropriate level (e.g., heart to organ, cactus to organism, muscle to tissue).
- Relate the structure of an organ to its component parts and the larger system of which it is a part.
- "Hook" students with a short video or video clip showing a real live frog in its habitat. Discuss the things a frog's body has to be able to do for it to carry out life functions. See if students can match body organs or organ systems to the frogs needs.
- Give students or student groups the papers with the frog organs and frog outline and read the student page with them. Show students what resource materials are available for them to use for help.
- Allow time for students to cut and paste. Ask students to check off their frog with you before answering the analysis questions. A key diagram is included on the pages below
- There are many "virtual" frog dissections on the Internet. You may wish for your students to try one of them after doing this activity. Here is a site you might use:
Virtual Frog Dissection
1. Students correctly place the frog organs in the frog……………4
2. Students answer analysis questions correctly…………………..4
- a. frogs must exchange gases with the air, eat and digest food, move substances around their bodies, move their bodies, support their bodies, clean and manufacture their blood, respond to the environment,
- b. circulatory, respiratory, digestive, musculature, skeletal, urinary, nervous
- e. the stomach is sack shaped and shows that it hold something
3. Students correctly write the summary paragraph……………….4
Use the teacher key
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.