1 class periods of 30 minutes each
Students will start to identify characteristics of living things.
- student worksheet attached
- for each student pair:
- 4 foot string tied in loop
- two hand lenses
- probes and forceps if desired
Background for Teachers
This is an inquiry lab in which students will observe inside a 1 square foot area, looking for examples of living and non-living things.
- Remind students that hand lenses are used to observe, not to burn materials with the sunlight.
- Students need to look at all levels of the ground, including under the surface of the soil.
- You do not need to tell students where to look; there are some sites that have very little life, so students can move to another spot. They should illustrate carefully.
- When students return, discuss how living things use non-living and dead material for resources.
Each student should have a reasonable number of examples of living and non-living materials. Their answers in the far right column should show thought.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.