1 class periods of 90 minutes each
Students will also begin to learn about convection currents. Using their textbooks as a resource, in small groups students will make posters of the earth's interior. They will label and identify important features to understanding the idea of plate tectonics.
Background for Teachers
Objective of lesson: To learn the temperature and densities of the different layers of the earth and to be able to label the spheres of the earth. Students will also begin to learn about convection currents.
- Assemble needed supplies, run copies and make overhead.
- Put overhead on the projector. Fill out the overhead with the students. Format this as a class discussion, solicit answers from as many students as you can. Use this discussion as an opportunity to help students learn how to figure of the definitions of words they don't know by looking at the roots. This is an excellent skill for students to develop. Students may not know the meanings of all the roots, help them with the ones they are unfamiliar with.
- Explain the poster project to the students.
- Have students from groups no larger than 4.
- Allow students time to complete the project.
Sample Grading Rubric:
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.