UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
Science - Earth Science
Standard 2 Objective 1
2 class periods of 45 minutes each
Students will plan and conduct an experiment that investigates convection currents.
Materials will vary depending on students plan. A source of heat such as a hot plate, alcohol burner or Bunsen burner probably will be needed. Ice cubes or cold packs may also be requested.
Time Required: 20-30 minutes of planning time the first day, 40-50 minutes for lab time the second day.
If you are unfamiliar with inquiry based learning, this is an example of a simple experiment students can design and perform themselves. As a teacher, your job will be to answer questions and provide materials. Try not to direct students plans, they will learn from failures as well as successes. Do try and guide them toward logical and safe experiments, but allow for genuine experimentation.
Students should know what a convection current is and that they are an important part of plate tectonic theory.
1. Students make hypothesis ..5 pts.
2. Students design procedures to test hypothesis ..10 pts.
3. Students make good use to time, gather materials, perform experiment.......15 pts.
4. Students record data .5 pts.
5. Students answer questions correctly .10 pts.
6. Students make and report conclusions .10 pts.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.