1 class periods of 60 minutes each
In this lab students make a fluid that models Earth's mantle made of rocks that are solid yet can flow like a liquid.
- 4 Tablespoons of cornstarch in a cup
- 20 ml water
- 3 drops food coloring
- plastic fork
- ice cubes in a Styrofoam cup
- hot water in Styrofoam cups
- student worksheet (attached)
All of these procedures are repeated on the student worksheet.
- Start by measuring 20 ml of water into a graduated cylinder. Add three drops of the color of your choice to the water. You must add the food coloring; it adds both extra water as well as fabulously awesome color to you mantle magma. Return food coloring to lab prep table.
- Pour the water and color mixture on top of the cornstarch and mix thoroughly with a fork. If you had the right amount of water it will be tough to stir. Call your teacher over to check your mixture before proceeding with the testing.
- Answer the questions below.
- Waste disposal- rinse out cup, in sink, with lots of running water and return cup to lab prep area.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.