UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
Science - Earth Science
Standard 2 Objective 3
1 class periods of 60 minutes each
Students will design a lab to discover how and why liquefaction would occur and relate to how that would affect the biosphere.
Each group of 4 needs:
Students should be know that tectonic movement causes earthquakes and earthquakes can cause damage at the surface of the Earth.
1. Students set up and perform experiment 4
2. Students collect and record data ..4
3. Students correctly answer analysis questions 4
1. Loose sediment in the soil, old lake beds are ideal; water in the soil, strong earthquake.
2. This affect cities by damaging foundations and causing floods, it can cause rivers to change course which can leave some wildlife without a home.
3. Yes, part of Salt Lake County is at high danger because it sits on the bed of Lake Bonneville and more recently parts of the Great Salt Lake.
4. Governments can limit building on areas of high danger.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.