1 class periods of 70 minutes each
Students will research a water quality indicator and prepare a summary to present to the class. They will create a picture to help explain their indicator.
Background for Teachers
Time Needed: Time will vary depending on how much research the students are asked to do. If the reading supplied is the only research they do, this activity will take 50-70 minutes.
- Show students a clear glass container with dirty water in it. (add soil to the water and shake). Ask students what substances could possibly be in the water.
- Record the student responses on the board. Group the substances by harmful to human or not harmful. Leave this on the board to refer to as the students work.
- Assign students to work in groups of 3-4 and give them one of the water quality indicators from the reading. Hand out the rubric for the presentation. If you are requiring additional research, you may wish to add to the rubric.
- Allow time for students to read the selection and complete the summary and picture.
- Have student groups present their work and grade one another's presentation with the rubric.
- Finish by looking at the board and the board and matching the students ideas with what they have learned.
Scoring Guide-Rubric for Students:
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.