2 class periods of 45 minutes each
Students will design poster summarizing the main points of the study of energy flow.
- butcher paper
- assignments from the unit (to be used as student resources)
- colored pencils
Background for Teachers
Time Needed: 1 ½ class periods
Student Prior Knowledge
Students should understand energy flow in an ecosystem.
- Put students in pairs.
- Instruct them to assemble all assignments for the unit and their book.
- Students should use their assignments and pick out the 10 most important ideas from the unit.
- They should state these ideas in a written form on one side of their poster.
- They should also represent each idea visually on the other side of their poster.
- Encourage students to think creatively and make sure they pick the most important ideas .
- Tell students they will be teaching each other using their peer's posters.
- Give students a class period to make their posters.
- Posters should be collected at the end of the class period.
- Redistribute the posters randomly the next day.
- In teams students should teach another pair.
- Repeat by collecting and redistributing posters again.
- Make sure as the students are explaining you monitor and grade them on their explanations.
Poster is neat and colored...................15 points
Poster includes 10 main ideas from the unit....10 points
Main ideas are visually represented.......10 points
Student can explain poster and defend or refute a peers main ideas.....15 pts.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.