2 class periods of 45 minutes each
Students will keep a food diary for 2 days and then complete a food web showing their place in the ecosystem.
Background for Teachers
Time Needed: 30 minutes on day one, 50 minutes on day two.
- Discuss how a food diary is a record of EVERYTHING a student eats during the day and an approximation of how much.
- Show students what a food label shows, including weight, serving size and calories.
- Model what an ounce of several types of food looks like. Ex. Cereal, meat, fruit, milk
- Build the book or label pages in an existing notebook. Places the dates and times on the top and sides of each page.
- Each entry should be titled either breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. An estimation of the size of each portion should be made. See the page below, it may be copied to make the note book if desired.
- Remind students throughout the next two days to fill in the book.
- On day three, have students fill out the food web with the foods they have eaten and arrows drawn pointing to them.
1. Student accurately and completely records food eaten for a day
2. Food web reflects the diary entries
3. Questions are answered accurately and thoughtfully
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.