1 class periods of 60 minutes each
In this activity students will be introduced to some of the important properties of water and some of the key vocabulary associated with water. This can be a group or an individual activity.
- Write the following words on the board: solvent, solute, adhesion, density, cohesion, polarity. Have the students fill them in the center of the boxes on their student sheets.
- Give students time to research the meaning of each word and fill in the charts.
- Handout the reading selection and explain to student that they need to fill in the missing words from the vocabulary words they just defined.
- Polarity: a molecule with a positively charged portion and a negatively charged portion, overall the molecule is still neutral
- adhesion is attraction between molecules that are different,
- cohesion is the attraction between molecules that are the same.
- density is the amount of matter in a given amount of space
- solvent-a substance in which other substances dissolve
- solute-a substance that dissolves in another substance.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.