1 class periods of 70 minutes each
Students will use small objects such as Legos to model cell division.
- student sheet (attached)
- Provide a variety of small objects to be "chromosomes".
Legos are good because they stick together.
- chenille sticks
- rubber bands
Student Prior Knowledge
Students should have briefly gone over mitosis and cell division
- Pass out the student sheet. Place students in groups of 4.
- Allow students to read over student sheet.
- Give students 20 minutes to create their models.
- Allow students to present models to other student groups, then work on outlines.
- The written outlines should be due the following day.
- If desired, ask students to videotape their model or use a digital camera to take still frames and place in a power point on high speed.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.