2 class periods of 60 minutes each
Students will construct a cell and describe how various functions in the cell are carried out.
- student sheet (attached)
- zip lock bags(1/2 gal or gallon size)
- a variety of things to represent cell parts (poker chips, game pieces, plastic packaging). Students can bring things from home or if you have a lot of this stuff around you can provide some.
Background for Teachers
Time Needed: Two periods so that students have an overnight to collect items. The first intro and group work time is about 30 minutes and it will take 50 minutes to build the cell and look at other groups work.
- Read the introduction on the student sheet with students and ask them to form groups of 3-4.
- Each group should discuss what things they want to use and how they will model the function of that cell part. Group members should agree who will bring what the next day.
- On day two, allow time for the groups to build their models. It is good idea to have extra items available for groups with an absent or absent-minded member.
- Move the cells or the group members to a new group and have that group check off the models for the cell parts and decide which part is most creative and how many the group was able to model.
- Decide which group modeled the most parts and which group had the most creative part. Extra points or a treat might be a nice reward.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.