3 class periods of 60 minutes each
Students will read about the development of the artificial heart and then choose from a list of organs to design a "working" model of one of them.
- student sheet (attached)
- craft sticks
- odds and ends
- rubber bands
- plastic tubing
- packing materials
- plastic wrap
- game stuff
- things students bring in
Background for Teachers
Time Needed: 180 minutes spread over several days.
Day one-40 minutes
- Begin with the Opinionaire and Artificial Heart reading activity. It is on this website.
- Gather as much "stuff" as you can, run off student sheets.
Day two-45 minutes
- Read introduction and procedures with students.
- Organize students into groups of 3-4 and begin the research component of the task. Students must first pick their organ.
- Have students decide who is bringing in the materials they need if it is more than you can provide.
Day 3-45 minutes
- Allow time to build the organ and test it.
Day 4-40 minutes
- Student groups will share their product with the class.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.