1 class periods of 60 minutes each
Students will write an essay tracing a "particle" through one of the major organ systems.
Background for Teachers
Brief Activity Description:
This can be used as an assessment or as an assignment, and can be done as partners or individuals.
Students will demonstrate their knowledge of a body system, including the form, function and major organs involved. Body systems are limited to the ie's in the core: digestion, respiration, circulation, protection and support, nervous.
- Before students arrive in class print off the sheet below. Cut each body system out and place the slips of paper into a hat/can etc.
- As students come into class have them pick a slip of paper out of the hat and hold onto it.
- After all students arrive in class, inform students that they will be writing essays tracing some sort of "particle" through a body system. Examples of "particles" include: M&M, oxygen molecule, water molecule, red blood cell etc. This should be written in first person. The system they are responsible for is written on the slip of paper they choose as they walked into class. (If using this activity as an assessment you may want to make the students aware of the requirements/topics several days in advance, so they can prepare themselves.)
- If you are allowing the students a partner, give them a minute to find someone in the classroom on whose slip of paper is written the same body system.
- Put up an overhead of the grading rubric and explain it to the students.
- Allow students time to complete project. (If used as an assessment, give all students the same allotment of time. If used as an assignment you may want to give more time and allow students to work on the paper out of class as well.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.