1 class periods of 60 minutes each
Students research characteristics, similarities, and differences between sexual and asexual reproduction. Students will understand the processes, advantages and disadvantages of each and how genetic variation relates to both.
- Make copy of the overhead and student sheets.
- Put overhead up when students come in the classroom.
- Give students 3 minutes to make a list of all the differences they can come up with.
- Let students combine answers with their table and see if they can generate any new ideas.
- Elicit student responses and write them on the overhead.
- If students have not thought about reproductive differences between an elephant and a protist, suggest it. You may want to ask them how they reproduce, also ask about responses to the environment, and genetic diversity, life span etc. Help students understand that these 2 organisms can be representative of sexually and asexually reproducing organisms. Common differences include size, complexity, life span etc.
- Present students with the comparison matrix. Give students the remainder of class time to work on the paper. They should use their textbook to help them. Encourage them to use the index in their textbook.
Answers to Questions:
Use the answer key attached.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.