1 class periods of 60 minutes each
Students will use a reading to trace the accumulation of scientific knowledge concerning biotechnology.
- Historical Events reading (attached)
- student worksheet (attached)
- 5 meter of adding machine tape (4 meters for years 200 BC through 1900 AD, one meter for 1900 on(write the dates to scale on the paper, hang it on the wall)
- "post-it" notes in different colors
- Ask students to brainstorm the meaning of "biotechnology". Write their responses on the board. After students have responded, handout the student sheet and read the introduction and procedures with students.
- Ask student groups to look at the "Historical Events in Biotechnology" before starting and choose a strand. They can come up with their own or choose from the list below. Ask that two groups not do the same strand.
Cells, medicine, food, plants, stem cells, cloning, new vocabulary, genes, protein, DNA, scientists, technology, inventions, procedures
- Read the student sheet and procedures with students.
- Allow time for student to work. If time allows, ask groups to share their work with the class.
- If time allows and students have access to computers, the entire science timeline can be found at: http://www.sciencetimeline.net/ Students could trace any subject in science using this information.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.