1 class periods of 30 minutes each
Students will have practice writing the formula and names for the compounds they have learned.
- example for overhead (attached) Showing students an example will result in less confusion and better work.
- student worksheet (attached) This is a blank worksheet you can copy and give to your students to use. Copy the same page on both the front and the back (the back is just the extra credit side).
Background for Teachers
Students will have practice writing the formula and names for the compounds they have learned. This activity will be used as a review after the concept has been taught. The assignment will give the students a real world application.
30 minutes in class plus homework time
Student Prior Knowledge
Student should know how to name all the types of compounds. This is just a review.
- This is a homework assignment that will be done by individual students. This assignment will be given as a review to writing the names and formulas for compounds. Show them an example of one that has been finished so you get nicer work in return.
- Have the students write down the product from which the label came. They will cut out the lab and past it in the box provided. They should fill in the name and formula in the spaces to the right.
- The other side could be used for an extra credit opportunity if you wish.
- When the students return with this homework assignment, have the student get in groups to share the products they used and what formulas they found. You can use this opportunity to have the students correct each other's work so it is easier for you to correct as a teacher.
- In my class, we voted for the best looking assignment. These were hung on the "wall of fame."
After the students have helped each other make corrections, grade each blank (product label, chemical name, and formula) as one point. Check the formula and name closely for correctness. For an extra credit opportunity, make each whole problem worth one point.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.