1 class periods of 30 minutes each
Students will group a selection of electron dot structures and determine similarities and differences between covalent and ionic bonding.
- set of molecule cards (attached) per group. Fill in the electrons on the ionic compounds before you make your sets.
- Give student groups (3-4 students) an envelope with the molecule cards inside.
- Ask students to classify the molecules in as many groups as they think are necessary. Ask students to be able to identify the reason they chose the groups.
- Allow students time to work on the activity.
- Ask selected student groups to share their groups and justify them to the class.
- Describe ionic and covalent bonding to students and have them regroup the cards according to the scientific classification. Check for accuracy.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.