1 class periods of 60 minutes each
Students will add 4 chemicals to a beaker and observe the changes that take place. They will classify them as physical or chemical changes.
- student sheet (attached)
- 200 mL beaker
- phenolphthalein solution (1% acidified)
- small piece of an antacid tablet
- ferric ammonium sulfate solution
- sodium carbonate solution
- graduated cylinder
- tap water
- Collect materials and set out for students. Run off student sheets.
- Do a "brain drain" with students by writing "chemical change" on the board and have them work in small groups (3-4) to write down everything that comes to mind that relates to this subject. Have them share their work with the class and write a summary of all the answers on the board.
- Introduce the lab and read through the student page with students.
- Allow time to work and clean up.
- See if students can add any additional ideas to their list of they started class with.
Lesson Design by Jordan School District Teachers and Staff.