Science - 4th Grade
Standard 2 Objective 3
Health Education - 4th Grade
Strand 3: SAFETY AND DISEASE PREVENTION (SDP) Standard 4.SDP.2:
4 class periods of 30 minutes each
Students will observe, measure, and record daily weather conditions during different seasons. They will also determine what activities are safe to participate in during various types of weather.
Video "Utah's Weather Wonder" This Video can be obtained from:
2175 West 1700 South
Salt Lake City, Ut
A copy of the Weekly Weather Chart for each student
Students need to have an understanding of the following terms: barometric pressure, wind chill, humidity, temperature, thunder storms, blizzards, and lighting.
1. Show the video "Utah's Weather Wonders".
2. While watching the video have the students list the safety precautions that should be taken during each of the meteorological events.
3. After the video, the teacher should review the safety precautions, making sure all of the students understand them.
4. Distribute a Weekly Weather Chart to each student (see assessment attachments). Instruct students to keep a daily record of the weather for one week. Students should record the date and time along with their observations of temperature, pressure, wind direction and precipitation. The students should also make note of any extreme weather conditions.
5. These observation can be obtained from the local news, newspaper or online.
6. This project works best if the students record information for one week each month. This allows them to see the different weather patterns throughout the school year.
Day 2 (1 week later)
Ask students to use what they learned in the video to create a list of several actives that are safe and several that are unsafe for the weather they recorded on their daily record sheets. They will also explain why the activities may not be safe. For example: They have observed thunderstorms in their area, making lighting strikes possible and certain activities unsafe.
Each student will turn in their data tables and their list of activities that are safe and unsafe during different seasons of the year. They also need to include why these activities would be ok to do or not.