UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
College and Career Awareness
Strand 2 Standard 2
1 class periods of 30 minutes each
(1/2 IT day) This lesson summarizes the terminology and concepts for the Internet and Networking unit in the business TLC section from an IT perspective.
NOTE - This is not a complete lesson plan, only a compilation of resources for business teachers to use when they teach the Internet unit identifying the IT concepts that should be covered.
See IT TLC Web Site.
See the IT TLC site above.
Completed basic computer hardware unit.
Students should be able to identify the components and benefits of a computer network.
1) Review that the Internet is a collection of computer networks.
2) Identify the components of a computer network and network terminology. (Workstation/PC, Router, Server, LAN, WAN, Wireless Networks, File and Peripheral Sharing.) See the IT Terminology web site for definitions
3) View the animation on how the Internet works - See web site.
4) See the hierarchy of networks web site.
5) View the animation on "bridging the divide."
6) Performances: Students should know how to log on to a network. Students should also have experience using the Internet.
7) Explore IT careers in the Network Systems program area. See Network Administrator sites. Also see the Tech Career Compass for additional information on networking careers.
8) Discuss computer programming languages and terminology (syntax). Point out that all web sites consist of computer programming code. See definitions on terminology site.
9) Performance: Have students view the code of a web site by clicking View/Source while in their browser. Point out to them that if any of the code is in the wrong place, spelled wrong or missing the correct syntax the page will have problems displaying correctly.
10. Explore IT careers in computer programming. See Computer Programmer sites. Also see the Tech Career Compass for additional information on careers in computer programming.