UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
Interior Design I
Strand 6 Standard 1
Interior Design I
Strand 6 Standard 4
1 class periods of 90 minutes each
Learn how to arrange furniture and complete a furniture arrangement assignment.
1. Furniture Arrangement power point presentation.
2. Furniture Arrangement handout.
3. Furniture Arrangement KEY.
4. Furniture Arrangement Transparancies.
5. Furnishing a Floor plan handout
6. Furnishing a Floor plan templates.
Be familiar with furniture arrangement power point presentation and handouts.
After the lecture, students will be able to furnish a floor plan.
1. Explain that the arrangement of furniture is an extension of space planning. A good arrangement of furniture will be both functional and pleasing. Furniture arranged without regard for function will not meet the intended use for the room and will lack aesthetic appeal.
2. Show the presentation on Furniture Arrangement. Students should fill in the Furniture Arrangement worksheet during the lecture.
3. If extra help is needed, show the transparancies while you discuss furniture arrangement further.
4. Hand out the Furnishing a floor plan handout and template. Furniture drawings should be made with the use of templates or stencils. If paper outlines are to be used, you may wish to have the students place the outlines under their floor plan and trace the furniture in place. It may be helpful for students to cut and paste paper outlines the first time they do a furniture arrangement, but thereafter, pasting should be discontinued. For Advanced Interior Design, we have talked already about materials, so I have my students color in the floor plans, and get samples of fabrics, and other materials that they would use. It's amazing how far they will go with this assignment, but I love the results. Push them to do a "little more".
See attached rubric for Furniture Arrangement.
USOE Interior Design curriculum