Web Sites for Court Cases:
You can use Find Law to search topics or actual cases.
This site is also helpful if you are wondering what cases might have
been discussed concerning a certain clause, section, or amendment of
Legal Information Institute - Cornell Law School
The Cornell site can be searched for current and
past court cases. It includes federal and state case law.
OYEZ - U.S. Supreme Court Multimedia
This site is great if you want a synopsis
or summary of a case without reading all of the related case documents.
Their summaries include the facts of the case, question presented, and
Relevant Court Cases
- Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States (1964) commerce clause and
Civil Rights Act 1964.
- Griswold v. Connecticut (1965) right to privacy in marital relations.
- Roe v. Wade (1973) rights to an abortion, privacy protected by 14th
- Korematsu v. United States (1944) Japanese internment camps, individual rights, time of war.
- Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) segregation on basis of separate-but-equal.
- Brown v. Board of Education (1954) overturned separate-but-equal
- Boy Scouts of America v. Dale (2000) private organizations and
admission of homosexuals.
- Dred Scott v. Sanford (1857) citizenship of slaves and blacks.
- Baker v. Carr (1962) court jurisdiction over legislative apportionment.
- Regents of the University of California v. Bakke (1978) racial quotas
- NAACP v. Alabama (1958) freedom and privacy of association under 1st Amendment.
- Slaughterhouse Cases (1873) Bill of Rights protections at a state level.
- Gitlow v. New York (1925) incorporation of 1st Amendment to states.
- Powell v. Alabama (1932) right to counsel in death penalty cases.
- Palko v. Connecticut (1937) 5th Amendment and incorporation on a state
- Harper v. Virginia State Board of Education (1966) poll taxes and 14th Amendment.
- Minor v. Happersett (1875) citizenship and right to vote.
- Oregon v. Mitchell (1970) voting age for state and national elections.
- Ward’s Cove Packing Co. v. Atonio (1989) right to sue for
discrimination and effects.
- Grutter v. Bollinger (2003) - University of Michigan Law School affirmative action and admissions.
- Gratz v. Bollinger (2003) - University of Michigan undergraduate admissions and affirmative action.