Identify information from text using titles, subtitles, diagrams, charts, graphs, maps, photographs, illustrations, and captions by using a preview checklist.
Main Curriculum Tie:
English Language Arts Grade 6 Reading: Informational Text Standard 2
Determine a central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
- informational text (ex: textbook / leveled readers / Weekly Reader)
- Wikki Stix or highlighting tape (per group)
- copies of preview checklist (per student)
- copies of text (per student)
- highlighters (per student)
Background For Teachers:
This strategy can be used in conjunction with the strategies introduced in the lessons Setting A Purpose For Reading Using Informational Text and Using a Before-Rdg Organizer with Informational Text. Once this strategy has been introduced and practiced, be sure to integrate its use into the authentic before/during/after reading process, using a variety of informational texts.
STATE THE OBJECTIVE / RATIONALE
- OBJECTIVE - Identify information from text using titles, subtitles, diagraming, charts, graphs, maps, photographs, illustrations, and captions by using a preview checklist (pdf).
- RATIONALE - Using a preview checklist gives you an idea about what to expect from the reading (such as the content, length, difficulty, vocabulary, and organization) and can help activate your background knowledge.
MODEL THE STRATEGY (Whole Class)
- Prepare and display an overhead copy of the pages selected from the informational text.
- Distribute a copy of the preview checklist to each student. Ask students to take a moment to silently read through checklist.
- Demonstrate the step-by-step use of the checklist while simultaneously locating, marking, and reading the overhead copy of the text.
GUIDE THE STRATEGY (Small Groups)
- In groups of two, students will use Wikki Stix or highlighting tape to locate, mark, and read each of the items on the preview checklist.
- Once the partners have completed the checklist, they can compare what they marked with what another pair marked.
APPLY THE STRATEGY (Individual)
- Using a copy of a text, each student will use a highlighter to locate, mark, and read each item on the preview checklist.
- As students become more proficient at this strategy, gradually release application from writing to oral and then to mental practice.
Created Date :
Aug 02 2005 11:42 AM