UEN Security Office
Technical Services Support Center (TSSC)
Eccles Broadcast Center
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
(801) 585-6105 (fax)
Background For Teachers:
1. Ask if anyone has been to see the woolly mammoth site in Emery County. What is a woolly mammoth? Share provided background information about the woolly mammoth.
2. Illustrate what the environment was like for the Emery County mammoth based on the information you have discussed.
3. Add the mammoth to the environmental picture created for Emery County. What in the picture can be used to show the scale of the mammoth? Discuss that scale can be shown in relation to items of known size.
4. Research how Utah changed in the time after the mammoth. Discuss why the mammoth disappeared from Utah.
5. Watch the video on the Siberian Mammoth. List all clues of change and adaptation.
Debate whether these new creatures would be on the endangered species list. List other possible adaptation studies that could be researched such as desert tortoises, mosquitoes, etc. Have the students select and complete one.
When modern humans are the creatures that must adapt is there a change in the result? Study and present a study of the human impact on Utah. Is adapting to the environment or changing the environment better for all creatures? Discuss. What is better for people?
Research news releases for life forms having difficulty surviving their environment such as the Sego Lily or the Desert Tortoise. Create a campaign to make people aware of the difficulty. Propose solutions and work for change.
Created Date :