Earth's Moon - It's Just a Phase I'm Going Through!
Journal Entry - Take out your science journal and answer the following question (use drawings as appropriate):
What are shapes of the moon you have observed?
- Two-inch Styrofoam ball mounted on a bamboo skewer for each student (moon).
- Lamp (sun).
- Place lamp in the center of the room.
- Give each student a "moon."
- Students stand in a circle around the sun.
- Students represent Earth. Have them face the sun and observe how their moon looks. (It should be completely dark, which shows the new moon phase.)
- Have the students make a quarter-turn to their left. Observe how their moon now looks. (It should be a crescent moon.)
- Students make another quarter-turn to the left. Their moon should be half-shaded for the first quarter.
- Have the students keep doing quarter-turns until they have seen all of the moon’s phases.