Solar System - What is a Satellite?
Journal Entry - Take out your science journal and answer the following question(s) (use drawings as appropriate):
Satellites can be classified into two main types. What are they?
Go to Web site: http://www.thetech.org/exhibits/online/satellite
As you go through this site, make sure to take notes about the different types of satellites (e.g., communications, weather, etc.) Use the chart to record your research. On the back of your chart, sketch a picture of each satellite. Don’t forget to label it!!
While you are visiting the Web site, make sure that you read the following links:
- What is a Satellite Anyway?
- Orbiting Machines
- Satellite Elements
- Now go back to top of that Web page and click on the arrow pointing to the right. If you keep clicking on the right arrow, this will take you through five types of satellites.
- When you get to the science research page, take the quiz.
- Click each of the answers even if you get the question right the first time. This will explain about other satellites and show you more pictures.
- Complete the following table as you do this activity.
|Type of Satellite||Uses of Satellite|
Trading Card Activity
- Blank 3x5 index cards
- Choose two types of satellites
Use the following Web site as your guide (www.thetech.org/exhibits/online/satellite.)
Draw, label, and color a satellite picture on one side of the card. On the other side, write its name, its uses, and one interesting fact. Trade cards with your classmates or friends.