Size, Motion, Distance - Appearances Can Be Deceiving
Journal Entry - Take out your science journal and answer the following question(s) (use drawings as appropriate):
Are all the stars in a constellation the same distance from the earth?
- Four to eight stars that are 3 or 4 inches wide
- Tape (or another method to secure stars to ceiling)
- Attach stars to string and hang from ceiling within a 2 foot by 2 foot area. Do not hang them in a straight row.
- Have students observe the stars from close range.
- Move about 50 feet away and observe stars again.
- How did the distance of the individual stars appear to change?
From this, what can you conclude about the distances of individual stars in a constellation?
Make a T-graph comparing and contrasting the stars in a constellation.