Size, Motion, Distance - Now You See Me...Now You Don't!
Journal Entry - Take out your science journal and answer the following question(s) (use drawings as appropriate):
How does the appearance of the night sky change with the seasons?
- Four signs, one for each season
- Constellations placed in their appropriate season
- Label each wall with the season sign.
- Hang constellations in each season.
- Stand in a circle with your arms extended out to the side. You need to face the walls.
- Your arms represent the horizon. You can see only what is within your horizon.
- Observe which constellations you can see.
- Move counterclockwise (this simulates the earth’s revolution) 1/8 of the way around the room and observe which constellations you can see now.
- Repeat Step 6 until you are back to their original position.
Now that you have completed the activity, how did the appearance of the "night sky" change with the seasons?