This activity involves jobs families have to do around the house.
Main Curriculum Tie:
Social Studies - 1st Grade
Standard 1 Objective 2
Recognize and identify the people and their roles in the school and neighborhood. Explain how these roles change over time.
Background For Teachers:
Teachers need to be aware of intended learning outcomes. Nearly all
of the objectives deal with the first grader in relationship to the family
and community. Teachers should also be aware of various household
responsibilities needed to make the family unit function.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
2. Develop social skills and ethical responsibility.
6. Communicate clearly in oral, artistic, written, and nonverbal form.
Invitation to Learn
Have a class discussion of all the jobs families have to do around the
house. Teacher will use shared writing to make a list of jobs
(e.g., washing dishes, making beds, taking out garbage, etc.).
- During class discussion, talk about the possible jobs each
family member may do in the home.
- Given picture cards of each task, students will decide which
family member would best perform the given task.
- Teacher will help students to understand that it takes
everyone in the family to run a home.
- Teach Task Song.
- Give each student a Family Task Puzzle to label with
family member names and what task they do at home.
- Students will record their learning in a Create-A-Log.
- Make a response log for Create-A-Log Coupons.
- Choose a Create-A-Log Coupon to determine your response.
Use a Venn Diagram to compare student tasks with the jobs that other
family members do. Students will be able to see which are the same and
which are different.
- Students will take a Family Task Puzzle home to complete with
actual family jobs.
- Students may sing Task Song and tell of meaning.
- Students may share their entry in their Create-A-Log.
- During discussion and writing time, check for understanding of
whether job descriptions are appropriate.
- Use Venn Diagram to check for understanding.
- Students will record their learning in their personal Create-A-Log.
Created Date :
Sep 15 2004 09:31 AM